Skip to the content
- 1998 It is announced that George Strait leads the list of nominees for the 32nd annual Country Music Assn. Awards, nabbing five nominations, including entertainer, album, and single of the year. These make Strait the most nominated artist – at 47 noms – in the history of the competition.
- 1992 Drummer Jeff Porcaro dies of cardiac arrest at age 38. The co-founder of Toto was spraying insecticide in his yard and developed an allergic reaction that triggered the heart attack.
- 1976 NBC-TV airs “The Beach Boys: It’s O.K.,” the group’s 15th anniversary special.
- 1963 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: “Fingertips (Pt. 2),” Little Stevie Wonder. The song is the first live single to go to No. 1. This also marks the first time that a single and the album it came from both topped Billboard’s pop charts at the same time. More amazing is the fact that Wonder at the same time also topped the R&B single and album chart.
- 1957 The first edition of Dick Clark’s “American Bandstand” airs on national TV. (ABC).
- 1953 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: “Vaya Con Dios,” Les Paul & Mary Ford.
- 1942 Rick Huxley, bass guitarist with the Dave Clark Five, is born.