Skip to the content
- 1998 The Rolling Stones perform their first concert in Russia, playing through a driving rain before an appreciative crowd estimated at 70,000.
- 1992 Axl Rose of Guns N’ Roses walks off stage after 55 minutes at a concert at Olympic Stadium in Montreal, complaining of a sore throat. Many of the 53,000 fans who came see the group and Metallica riot.
- 1987 Less than three months after they go to No. 1 on Billboard’s Hot 100 for the first time with “With or Without You,” U2 return to the top of the chart with “I Still Haven’t Found what I’m Looking For,” the second single from “The Joshua Tree.“
- 1986 David Crosby of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young is released from prison after serving time for drug and weapons charges.
- 1970 Janis Joplin buys a headstone for the grave of blues singer Bessie Smith, one of her idols.
- 1969 The cover photo is taken for the Beatles’ “Abbey Road” LP.
- 1959 No. 1 Billboard Pop Hit: “A Big Hunk O’Love,” Elvis Presley. The song enters the Hot 100 at No. 6.